Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Therapy Chick to the Rescue!

Sometimes I wish I had a magic wand.  A magic wand would allow me to heal others without watching them go through those rough patches of heartache, disappointment, confusion, frustration, loss, and pain.  I wonder, though, is that for their sake or for mine.  How comfortable am I sitting with someone in their time of need?  As a psychotherapist, one would think I'm quite comfortable.  I'm probably more comfortable than the average person.  But when one of my strengths is the ability to provide empathy, I have to make sure to keep my emotional boundaries intact.  Otherwise, I'm feeling someone else's pain so deeply that I become sad and confused.  And then I feel helpless and powerless.  I have difficulty with these feelings.  I pride myself on being a strong, supportive woman and friend.  Feelings of helplessness and powerlessness bring to mind a sense of weakness and an inability to provide comfort to those in need.  I know this is not true, however.  I also know that an understanding word, a listening ear, and even a silent presence can bring comfort and hope to someone in need.  It just never seems enough, though.  I don't feel like I'm enough in those moments.  And then I have to remember to surrender and trust the process of life, quietly knowing that the most loving thing I can do is allow my loved one to experience his/her healing journey as intended.  And to let them know, I'm here, waving that magic wand just in case. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the magic wand idea! It sure would make life easier! Oh, wait a minute, maybe easy isn't the best way to go, maybe the difficult road is more rewarding in the long run! Oh well, I still like magic wands!!

    ReplyDelete