Thursday, May 28, 2009

Living in Gratitude Brings Great Pay-offs!

Living in gratitude has brought me much peace and happiness. This past weekend, I was sitting outside with some friends at an outdoor diner in Sacramento. It was a beautiful night and I was so happy to spend time with friends I haven't seen in awhile. Out of the corner of my eye, between chatter and laughter, I saw him. An old tattered man. He was handing out roses. I remember thinking, "How nice of him to share those with others." He came to our table and immediately my friend said, "There's no money here." He still offered each of us a rose and a blessing. I guess. He mumbled mostly. All I could hear was "God Bless" and then more mumblings. We graciously accepted our roses and all I could say was "Thank you" while I smelled the sweetness of this gift. He left only to return a few minutes later, asking for money. When no money was given, he asked for his roses back from my friends but not me. What made me different, I wondered. My friends teased me that maybe he thought I was cute. I wondered if it had to do with my gracious attitude. From the moment I saw him, I was already thinking positive thoughts about him. I wasn't worried about whether he was going to ask for money. I took my rose back to my hotel room, put it in a cup of water, and placed it on the table. The next day it still looked beautiful and I reflected on how happy I was to receive it. I left it for Housekeeping along w/a tip and a "Thank you" note. It felt so good to share that gift with someone else-another stranger. I will probably never see that old tattered man again. But he left me with a few gifts: a rose, a good feeling, and a smile. And the ability to pay it forward.

Yesterday, my neighbor surprised me by giving me a bag full of cherries. I've lived across the street from him for over 4 years and have only spoken to him twice and have waved hello on occasion. But, he must've been reading my mind because I was thinking just 2 days ago how nice it would be to enjoy some cherries. Again, I graciously took this gift with such joy, thinking, "Wow, I'm receiving so many wonderful gifts!"

There's more of course. For example, my business is thriving! I've had a very busy practice for about 2 mos now after a slow start at the new year. I give thanks in my gratitude journal everyday for all that I receive. And I've noticed that every time I'm grateful, the Universe blesses me with even more! While I know it seems so simple, I encourage each and every one of you to simply say "Thank You!" Thank you for this breath of life, the gift of vision, the gift of laughter, and the gift of friendship.

If you haven't started a gratitude journal yet, it's rather simple. Just reflect on your day, noting of all the gifts provided throughout your day, and then write them down. Should you get stuck, feel free to visit my website at www.florencemft.com and look through my resource pages. If you've already started a gratitude journal, keep enjoying the bounty!

Thank you for reading this blog! :)

PS-You may be wondering about the connection of the posted picture and this writing. That is my most recent tattoo. I love stargazer lilies and always feel good when I buy them. Thought I'd keep a permanent reminder of the joy they bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment